Problem: If you have bought a Thin Client Terminal, you lost updates after some years, cause the manufacter closes the support, or you have to pay for the Upgrades.
To reuse the old Hardware take a closer look on www.tinycorelinux.com There you find a very small modular Linux. You must not buy new Hardware! Tinycorelinux runs on x86 (Intel/AMD/Via) Hardware with a current 2.6 Kernel inside a RAMDISK.
- Kiosk Internet Box
- Internet Radio
- Netbook with full ThinClient Support for High Security Travel (Company’s)
- Internet PC
- Office PC
- Fast energy saving embedded PC with ramdisk Use
- SSH Terminal
- Embedded Server (NAS+FTP)
- PC controlled Info-Screens like Store, Hotel or Airport TFT Info Screens
- Embedded Tablet PCs
Tinycorelinux is easy to setup and offer good documentations about config and application setup.
- x86 CPU
- 32MB> Diskspace
- Support Intel,AMD and Via CPU (Samuel 2 too, no cmov reboot bug)
- Support various kinds of media, USB Stick, FlashDisk, IDE and SATA-HDD, CDROM
- embedded S3 Via Graphic supported
- must have internet access to get additional software packages called modules
At first read the howtos about the different kernel boot switches cause here you set parameters for the Linux on RAM.
tinycore user=tom vga=791 hdc1=home sda1=tce secure noautologin kmap=qwertz/latin-1 lang=de
- user= set the used username (default=tc)
- vga= enable framebuffer on screens
- hdc1= set a usbdisk plugged in to home
- sda1= set a usbstick to save installed programs like firefox
- secure= ask on boot for user + root password (must be)
- noautologin= stop at login prompt (Console)
- kmap set keymap (for German install kmap paket, if not US is forced)
- lang= set language (for other language install lang paket, if not US is forced)